MAYANS AND MEXICO
Teacher: Ms Walatta Trew
Teaching Assistant: Ms Tracy Black
Teaching Assistant 1:1: Elizabeth Moyer
Teaching Assistant 1:1: Kyomi Thompson
Science: ANIMALS INCLUDING HUMANS.
- Identify and name the main parts of the human circulatory system, and describe the functions of the heart, blood vessels and blood.
- Recognise the impact of diet, exercise, drugs and lifestyle on the way bodies function.
Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
Pie chart of blood types in the UK
Create a line graph about pulse rates after exercise.
Comparative line graph about healthy and drug abuser’s heart rates.
Compare and convert lengths of blood vessels in different parts of the body and in different ages of people.
Solve fraction problems about a healthy diet.
Compare, convert and order the capacity of smokers and non-smokers’ lungs.
Biography on William Harvey
Persuasive leaflet on the impact of drugs
Instructional writing to create a healthy meal
History: : THE MAYA CIVILISATION
- Know what the word ‘civilisation’ means.
- Understand the term ‘Meso-America’ and locate this area on a map.
- Place the Mayan empire on a timeline.
- Know some of the common beliefs of the Maya.
- Use evidence left through buildings to find out about the Maya.
- Investigate Stephen’s and Catherwood’s work to find out about Maya life.
- Learn about everyday life in Maya times.
- Look at the Maya use of time.
- Learn about the Day of the Dead festival and how this originated in Maya times.
Understand some of the reasons why the Maya disappeared from their cities in AD850.
- Solve problems using the Maya number system.
- Investigate the Maya calendar
AMERICA AND MEXICO
- Locate North and South America on a map.
- Identify where Mexico is on a map.
- Identify and locate the environmental regions of the North.
- Know the key physical and human characteristics, countries and major cities of North and South America.
Focus on Mexico City and compare the similarities and differences between Mexico City and London, looking at work, population, city size, climate, land use, dwellings etc.
- Construct graphs and charts based on data about North and South America.
- Order and compare population sizes of cities in North and South America.
- Investigate the countries that made up the Maya civilisation and how they have developed. Investigate the Spanish influence
Art: Frida Kahlo
- Experiment with media to make different marks, lines, patterns, textures and shapes.
- Begin to develop an awareness of composition, scale and proportion in their paintings e.g. foreground, middle ground and back ground.
- Show an awareness of how paintings are created.
- Develop a painting from a drawing.
- Carry our preliminary studies – trying out different media and materials and mixing appropriate colours.
- Mix and match colours to create light effects.
- Be able to identify primary, secondary, complementary and contrasting colours.
Work with complementary colours.
CHALLENGE ACTIVITIES FOR THE MORE ABLE PUPILS:
- Use a range of more complex painting techniques (brush strokes, thickness etc)
- Research Frieda Kahlo and discuss how her personal life affected her style and content of work
- Begin to understand how to use self-expression in drawings and paintings
D.T: Make a Pizza
- Prepare food products taking into account the properties of ingredients and sensory characteristics.
- Select and prepare foods for a particular purpose.
- Taste a range of ingredients and food items to develop a sensory food vocabulary for use when designing.
- Weigh and measure using scales.
- Cut and shape ingredients using appropriate tools and equipment e.g. grating.
- Join and combine food ingredients appropriately e.g. beating, rubbing in.
- Decorate appropriately.
- Work safely and hygienically.
Show awareness of a healthy diet from an understanding of a balanced diet.
CHALLENGE ACTIVITIES FOR THE MORE ABLE PUPILS:
- Support others in using their tools, weighing etc
- Independently evaluate which tools are the most appropriate to use for each ingredient to achieve the planned effect
Understand and discuss how ingredients can be adapted for allergies/dietary requirements
- Music: Pupils should play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy and fluency.
- Improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music.
- Listen with attention to detail and recall sounds using aural memory.
- Use and understand staff and other musical notations.
- Appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians.
- Develop an understanding of the history of music.
FOCUS STUDY – blues and jazz.
Please follow the Val Sabin scheme of work
Gymnastics, dance and games
R.E (Please follow the Southwark agreed syllabus)
- Christianity – UNIT 9
Islam – unit 5
Computing: Coding, Programming and Computer Games
- Understand how an algorithm relates to the intended outcome and the program that controls it
- Use a range pf programming languages to write programs with loops, procedures and interaction
- Explain some of the rules behind a simulation and why it was made
- Create more complex interactive games and puzzles
Work systematically to identify and correct errors and problems in their own and others programs
Entitlement and enrichment: British Museum Pizza Express visit to Borough Market for supplies
Topic writing links: (please teach during Friday’s literacy lesson and work in topic/Science books
- Write a day in the life from a Mayan perspective.
- Write a booklet about Mayan beliefs
- Write about Stephen’s and Catherwood’s work on the Maya
- Write a diary/letter/postcard about a Day of the Dead festival
- Write an advert for a Day of the Dead festival
- Write an explanation of why the Maya disappeared from their cities
- Write a letter from an invader arriving at Meso-America for the very first times
- Write instructions re sacrifice
- Write an eye-witness account of a human sacrifice
- Write a report contrasting Mexico city/London
- Write a recipe for making pizza
Write a simple biography about Ptolemy, Alhazen or Copernicus
Literacy books which link to the topic:
- Rain player
- Heart of a jaguar
The chocolate tree