Ancient Greece and Russia
Year 4 Cedar
Teacher: Ms Valerie Adegbite
Teaching Assistant: Muibat Ijaiya
We will be studying a range of objectives and here are some of the main objectives: read, write , order and compare numbers to 10 000 and know the value of each digit; develop understanding of decimals and link decimals to money and length; consolidate the formal method of addition and subtraction and solve problems; know times tables and division facts up to 12 x 12; use the formal method for multiplication and bus stop for division and solve problems; solve problems involving fractions; tell the time to the nearest minute and solve time problems; find the perimeter and area; identify triangles and quadrilaterals; solve measure problems.
We will be using a range of high quality texts in English. We will be producing a wide range of writing types and begin to make deliberate choices about the vocabulary we use. We will use a wide range of sentence structures to vary our writing. We will use a variety of verb tenses including the perfect tense (I have bought a new watch.) We will use adverbials to sequence time (when); place (where) and manner (how.) We will use a wide range of punctuation correctly and use a comma after a fronted adverbial. We will use inverted commas mostly accurately. Science – Electricity/Living Things and their Habitats.
We will identify common appliances that run on electricity and create our own electrical circuits. We will investigate whether a lamp will light in different circuits and understand how switches work. We will be able to identify conductors and insulators.
We will also learn about grouping living things in a variety of ways and use classification keys to group living things. We will recognise how environments can change and how this can sometimes pose a danger to living things.ICT – Robots, controls and sensors.
We will know about different programs in devices and systems. We will identify and explore sensors in real world systems. We will use a data logger to measure and record environmental data and plan and write a simple program to control. We will learn to identify and debug errors.History – Ancient Greece.
We will know which countries were part of the Ancient Greek empire and the dates of the Ancient Greek era. We will learn about Greek fighters and the Battle of Marathon. We will know who Ancient Greeks worshipped and why. We will learn about the Greek theatre and Olympic games. We will learn about key Greek monuments such as the Parthenon and find out more about democracy.
- Geography – Locating countries around the world.We will use a range of maps, atlases, globes and digital computing mapping to identify countries. We will develop our understanding of compass points and grid references. We will revise the continents and locate Europe and identify countries within Europe. We will identify Russia and Greece on a map. Art – Make an alarmed box to protect Elgin’s marbles.
We will know what alarmed systems are used for and look at different warning systems. We will know how switches work. We will brainstorm our ideas for designing an alarmed box and then build and evaluate it.D.T – Create a modern design for a Greek/Russian vase.
We will explore images on Greek vases and discuss what these images represent. We will design our own symbols and signs to represent everyday life and discuss and explain these symbols to the class. We will represent the signs and symbols in the picture form.R.E – We will follow the Southwark agreed syllabus and study Judaism and Islam.
Ways in which you can help your child
- Ensure your child reads every night and discuss with them what has been read.
- Practise spelling
- Practise the maths objectives listed
- Identify electrical conductors and insulators
- Identify animals and plants using classification keys
- Read books on Ancient Greece
- Visit the Ancient Greece section at the British Museum
- Look through an atlas and identify continents and countries within Europe
- Use grid references to locate countries and places in an atlas
- Create your own design for a Greek vase