Maya and Mexico
Science: 1st HALF: ANIMALS INCLUDING HUMANS.
-Describe the changes as humans develop to old age
– understand the physical and emotional changes which occur in puberty.
- Create charts and graphs based on different gestation periods of animals
Order, compare and convert lengths and masses of human babies as they grow
History: THE MAYAN CIVILISATION
- Know what the word ‘civilisation’ means.
- Understand the term ‘Meso-America’ and locate this area on a map.
- Place the Mayan empire on a timeline.
- Know some of the common beliefs of the Maya.
- Use evidence left through buildings to find out about the Maya.
- Investigate Stephen’s and Catherwood’s work to find out about Mayan life.
- Learn about everyday life in Mayan times.
- Look at the Mayan use of time.
- Learn about the Day of the Dead festival and how this originated in Mayan times.
- Understand some of the reasons why the Mayans disappeared from their cities in AD850.
Write a day in the life from a Mayan perspective.
Write a booklet about Mayan beliefs
Write about Stephen’s and Catherwood’s work on the Maya
Write a diary/letter/postcard about a Day of the Dead festival
Write an advert for a Day of the Dead festival
Write an explanation of why the Maya disappeared from their cities
Write a letter from an invader arriving at Meso-America for the very first times
Write instructions re sacrifice
Write an eye-witness account of a human sacrifice
Solve problems using Mayan number systems
Read and complete timetables about everyday life in the Maya.
Solve measure problems about Stephens and Catherwood’s archaeological work/distances travelled.
Fraction problems based upon cooking quesadillas.
- Locate North and South America on a map.
- Identify where Mexico is on a map.
- Identify and locate the environmental regions of the North.
- Know the key physical and human characteristics, countries and major cities of North and South America.
- Focus on Mexico City and compare the similarities and differences between Mexico City and London, looking at work, population, city size, climate, land use, dwellings etc.
Write a report contrasting Mexico city/London
Order and compare population sizes of cities in N and S America.
Construct graphs and charts based on data about S and N America.
Write a simple guide to Mexico.
Write a report contrasting life in Mexico city to life in London.
Write a recipe for making pizza.
Write a story for a blues/jazz song.
Create own blues/jazz lyrics.
Science: 2ND HALF: SOLAR SYSTEM
-describe the movement of the Earth, and other planets, relative to the Sun in the solar system.
-describe the movement of the Moon relative to the Earth.
-describe the Sun, Earth and Moon as approximately spherical bodies.
-use the idea of the Earth’s rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky.
- Order and compare the radii of objects in our solar system
- Use translation skills to describe the position of the sun as it moves through the day.
- Read, write and compare the circumferences of planets in our solar system
- Write a biography about Ptolemy, Alhazen or Copernicus.
Write a fact file on Galileo